Archive for July, 2011

Random pics of #8

I haven’t gotten a whole lot done in the last few weeks. As it turns out, it’s difficult to use loud machinery when your daughter is sleeping on the other side of the wall. Here is what I was able to do in the precious few minutes I had.

Weekend update!

I got a small list of things knocked off the docket. For #7, I got the neck in a good place to stay for when I get the body closed up. The fretboard is basically done, but I planed it down a little to thin, so I might have to get another one. The rosette has been designed (I’ll leave that as a teaser), and the soundboard has been sanded and thicknessed. I think I am going to wait until I get a drum sander before I start the rosette. My previous interactions with bloodwood have lead me to believe that it’s significantly difficult to plane. That, coupled with the soft cedar, could be very problematic.

For #8, I got the profile (SJ w/cutaway) cut out. I have the main part of the rosette routed out (black walnut). I think I am going to do a cool pearl inlay in it, but I will leave that as a surprise.


That’s about it!

Back done!

I got the back braced and tagged! I got the neck pretty far along too.


Next steps are to finished my bending jig, make a pattern for the parlor shape, thickness the sides and bend away!



Return top

Bailie Guitars Blog

Greetings! This is a blog about my adventures in building guitars. I hope you enjoy!