Posts Tagged ‘#6’

Homestretch!

Ugh, I dont know if I am going to get this done by Thanksgiving. But then again, I dont know if I am going to make it over the mountains for Thanksgiving!

Getting close!

I got “#6″ all pore filled and ready for finish. The lacquer should be showing up in a few days and I will start spraying!

Still need to:
-Finish fretting
-floss neck joint
-measure and shape bridge
-Assemble and set up

I hope to get this thing finished by Thanksgiving!

Fretboard

Some pics of the fretboard. Its Pau Ferro with some 1/4″ abalone markers.

Quick update

I did a few minor things last night in the shop.Bridge rough cut, binding channel routed, fretboard slotted and cut. Marked inlay for fret markers, messed with the neck a bit.

#6 closed up

#6 Moving Along

Here are some new pictures of #6. It looks like i will finish this one before #4 and 5, so i wonder if that makes this one #4? Eh…

I decided to move along and start bracing this one. I figured i would bag the fun inlay ideas, mainly because it will be more expensive and I would have to wait to order the materials.  I still need a few more materials to finish this one, but i should be able to make the order this week.

Pics!

wow that was a lot of pictures!

More #6

I’ve decided to plow ahead on #6 since I am not waiting on a heating blanket for this one. I got the mold made for it, sides profiled and bent and the heal and tail block glued on.

Tonight I’ll get the linings on and some side braces. I’ll probably do something else, I just dont know what that is yet.

#6

So I found out that I wouldn’t get #6 completely braced over the weekend. I definitely had the time, but I did not have the materials to finish the rosette, so I couldn’t brace the soundboard. I did, however, get the back all braced up. Here are pictures of that (and what I have of the rosette)

I think this guitar is on hold until I can get enough moolah ($) to order the abalone stars. Those things are expensive!

Chloe’s Guitar (#6)

So this is sort of my first commission. It’s a request from my brother to build his children a guitar to play. He has a nice Taylor Dreadnought, but it’s too big for his kids to learn on. Enter younger brother that builds custom guitars (that’s me).

I’ve been chewing on the design for quite some time now. The more I designed my own shape, the more I realized that it was going to be a total hack job. I wasn’t aware of all the subtle measurements and the like. I would’ve ended up with a crappy sounding guitar, no doubt. In the end I decided to just buy some Martin Parlor guitar plans and go off that.

The back and sides will be a nice set of Pau Ferro I got awhile ago. The soundboard will be a Lutz Spruce set that I got from RC Tonewood for like $15. The fretboard and bridge will be Pau Ferro as well (to match). I wont have much of the back to make myself a headstock inlay, so I might match the headstock to the bindings which will be Bloodwood. With this guitar I am going to implement Abalone stars into the design. Mostly around the rosette and up the fretboard.

I want to keep the design feel of this one fun and young, yet still keep the professional quality of a custom guitar.

More pictures to come after this weekend. I hope to get it all braced up by Monday.

Return top

Bailie Guitars Blog

Greetings! This is a blog about my adventures in building guitars. I hope you enjoy!