Posts Tagged ‘#9’

#9, wah wah wah!

I had some problems with the finish on the top of this one. There was some strange hazing you saw at certain angles. I tried to fix it but I couldn’t seem to get rid of it. So i decided to sand the finish off the top and just respray. Here are some depressing pictures to illustrate. The back looks good!

June Update (#9)

I’m getting lot of finishing done on #9 but the problem is that it doesn’t look any different! I sprayed the final few coats of lacquer on it a few nights ago, now I just have to wait a few weeks for it to cure and I can final sand it.

Here are some pictures of the final neck shape.

May update

Greetings! Here is an update for you all. The headstock is essentially done. I just need to pore fill it and finish it! I’m still kicking around a few ideas for the truss rod cover, but there is no rush on that. I am almost done shaping the neck as well. I need to shape where the neck meets the headstock (volute) and then test fit the tuners. After that I’ll just be applying finish to it!

The body has been final sanded and sealed. I’ve got about 10 coats of finish on it right now. I just need to sand it every now and then to make sure it stays level.

Getting close!


#9 Headstock update

Here is another update on #9. I sprayed a few layers of sanding sealer on the box (after sanding it and pore filling it) and I’ll be spraying lacquer on it this week. The end is near!


#9 Mockup

Here are some images of the fretboard, neck and body together. Some additional photos of how I am attaching the neck on this one.


#9, binding and fretboard

Here is an update on #9, more pictures of the binding process (which has been done for awhile) and progress photos of the fretboard


#9 update

#9 is plugging along.

Since the last update, I have installed and shaped the top bracing, closed up the box, routed the binding and purfling channels, installed (and fixed) the end graft, installed the top binding aaaandd… that’s actually it, so far.

It doesn’t seem like a lot, but it’s quite a bit of work!

In the near future I will be installing the rest of the binding, routing the tenon for the neck and start working on the neck.


SJ #9 Update

I am going to try to split out my updates per guitar so the photo gallery doesn’t get confusing.

Here are updates of #9, the rosette is all done. I have to brace the soundboard next and then I can close up the box!

February update.

Photo Dump!

Happy New Year!

Here is an update on what I’ve been working on recently. #8 and #9

Return top

Bailie Guitars Blog

Greetings! This is a blog about my adventures in building guitars. I hope you enjoy!